Let’s be honest. Shopping for girls is different than shopping for guys — am I right? — especially when it comes to getting college essentials. I’ve been through this with three different daughters (in the past four years, hello), and I’ve learned a thing or two. In this sponsored post I want to let you in on a few secrets about college shopping for girls — AND there’s a a special offer below, PLUS a giveaway to enter!!
What to remember when shopping for college essentials for girls:
1) Finding bedding that she likes is important. To a girl, her bedding is an expression of her personality. But you don’t need to order from the places that send you fliers in the mail, claiming they are the only source for Twin XL sheets. They aren’t. AND their sheets are not good quality — we learned that the hard way the first time around. Is it necessary to get matchy-matchy with the roommate? NO.
2) You don’t have to go out and replenish her entire wardrobe. She may think now that she’s going to dress fashionably every time she goes to class, but after she’s been there a week and sees what everyone else wears — which is often just jeans, a t-shirt, and a hoodie — she’ll most likely leave all those pricey tops in the back of her drawer.
3) Girls like storage containers of all kinds, but they can add up. Prioritize those that will be used in shared areas, like a bathroom or closet. Definitely get a shower caddy (other MUSTS are in my post Our Recommended College Supply List — What Your Student REALLY Needs). But things like a jewelry stand or plastic makeup drawers are not as necessary.
4) Decor is more important to girls than to guys, but there is no need to go overboard. A neat picture or wall saying might be all that it takes. Also, there are many ideas on Pinterest for frugal dorm decor; I’ve listed several in this post: Fun Frugal Dorm Room Ideas.
5) This is a biggie: leave A LOT of room in the budget for making sure her supplies of makeup and toiletries are stocked up — because she’ll spend more than you would if she does it for herself later, lol. Don’t forget an Oral B toothbrush and Crest 3D White Arctic Fresh Toothpaste, Secret Outlast Invisible Solid Deodorant, a Gillette Venus Swirl Razor, or CoverGirl Colorlicious Lipstick. Spoiler: These products and more are part of the giveaway, below!
Here’s a BONUS tip:
The Harmon section of Bed Bath & Beyond features all the Procter & Gamble products I’ve mentioned, and much more. Which means that Bed Bath & Beyond can be a one-stop-shopping place for ALL of your daughter’s college essentials, from the Twin XL sheets to the storage to the decor to the Procter & Gamble toiletries and other products. You know I like things easy — can’t get much easier than buying it all in one place!
And right now, until August 31, you can get a $10 Bed Bath & Beyond gift card if you buy $40 worth of participating P&G items in the store!!
There is also a giveaway — share your favorite #CollegeSpeak term to enter to win a $50 Bed Bath & Beyond gift card and a box of P&G products (listed below)! The image below has some #CollegeSpeak ideas to get you started. My favorite is #alldayer — cuz even I can relate to feeling like a success when I don’t need a nap to get through the day!! Lol.
Here’s what you’ll get in your box if you win:
- CoverGirl Intensify Me! Liquid Liner
- CoverGirl Colorlicious Lipstick
- Gillette Venus Swirl Razor
- Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner
- Old Spice Lasting Legend Dirt Destroyer Body Wash
- Secret Outlast Invisible Solid Deodorant
- Tide Pods
- Crest 3D White Arctic Fresh Toothpaste
- Oral B Toothbrush
- $50 gift card to Bed Bath & Beyond
Use the Rafflecopter to enter!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
You can win an even larger gift card by participating in the #CollegeSpeak Twitter Party on Wednesday, August 17 at 12pm ET/9am PT! Click here to see more details and RSVP!
This post has been sponsored by Procter & Gamble and was written by me on their behalf.